Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Does God Grade on a Curve?

Tests aren't so bad if you are ready for them.

In college, I took an Economics course my senior year.  I had studied for the final exam and I had the correct classroom and building for where it would be.

I made my way confidently to the room and found that I was the first to arrive.

I began to look over my notes for a little bit of last minute cramming.

I kept looking at the clock and my watch.  No one else was showing up.  I started to get a little nervous as it was getting close to test time.  Was I in the wrong room?

Was I even in the right building?

The time came and went and I was the only person there.  It is at this point that you get that sinking feeling in your stomach that all is not right with the world.

I sought out my instructor's office and found out that I didn't have the wrong building or the wrong room or even the wrong time.

I had the wrong day!

The exam had been given the previous day.  This was unfortunate in that I needed to pass this class in order to graduate which I was scheduled to do in just a few days.

I pleaded for mercy from the instructor and he allowed me to take a make-up test.

I was so thankful - it was amazing how fast that feeling of anxiety went away.

Testing is difficult in life.  Sometimes we face it well and sometimes we need a little help. Sometimes we are totally unprepared and we get the curve ball when we were expecting the slider.

As Christians, where does God enter into the mix on testing us?  In the lectionary reading for this Sunday, Abraham truly believes that God is testing his faith in a way that is beyond our comprehension.  Abraham prepares to sacrifice his son Isaac on an altar to God.

Since blood sacrifice is not something in which we participate on a regular basis, this doesn't fit within our regular view of how life works.  Sacrificing a child seems monstrous and someone who would do this would not be deemed faithful but rather insane.

Do you believe that God tests us in life?  If so, how?  I would be interested in your comments.  I'll be wrestling with this text this Sunday and if you are near the Edmond area, I would love to have you join us for worship at 8:30 or 11:00 am.

In Christ,

Sam


Photo By KF [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment