Tuesday, August 26, 2014

What's In A Name?

When I was a little boy, I went by Sammy.

Everybody called me Sammy and even though my name was Samuel, I didn't feel the need to go by anything else.  As I grew older, my elder brother started going by "Bob" rather than Robert.  This may have influenced me to drop the 'my' at the end of my name and just go by Sam.

However, when you make a name switch, just be prepared for your older relatives to never get it.

Okay, never is a bit strong.  My parents finally switched.

My grandmother never did though.  I think I was Sammy to her until she died.

And Bob was always Robert.

What is really in a name?

When I was in college, one of my friends Bryan Foster gave nicknames to everyone.  I was "the Sham" from Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs.  Some of his names were better than others!

Identifying in a positive way is important.  It is important how we name one another in a positive, respectful way.  Anyone who ever had a nickname that was demeaning understands this!

This Sunday, we'll be looking at God's name from Exodus 3:1-15.  The name, "I am" is somewhat mysterious.  I've also heard it translated at "I am becoming who I am becoming".  How that unfolds for us as finite human beings is important.  We too are becoming who we are becoming.  If we allow God to be a part of this becoming, we are likely on our way to being more than we would be alone.

What happens when a lot of us get together to help each other do this?  We call it church and if you're in the Edmond area and don't currently go anywhere, I hope you'll join us!

In Christ,

Sam

Name tag picture by Eviatar Bach (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment