Friday, March 13, 2015

Daily Devotion for Lent 2015, Day 21

Daily Devotion for Lent

Friday, March 13, 2015, Day 21

Mark 8:22-9:1 (NRSV)

It is interesting the way that Mark puts the miraculous healing of the blind man right before the declaration by Peter.  Peter comes up with the correct answer but then blows it.

Jesus is evidently not giving the proper narrative for what a messiah will do.
Sometimes we need some help
when we are blind.

Suffering?

Death?

How about victory?  Conquest of our enemies?

What about sending the foreigners home?

These last three are the expectations of the Messiah.

Yet the author of this Gospel knows how it will end.  He shares the resurrection with the reader right here.  So we know what will come as well.

But we may often align with Peter.  We rebuke Jesus when we are told that we must die to the self in order to find new life.

This makes us wonder, where might we be blind?

Prayer by Clara H. Scott:

        Open my eyes, that I may see 
glimpses of truth thou hast for me; 
place in my hands the wonderful key 
that shall unclasp and set me free. 
Silently now I wait for thee, 
ready, my God, thy will to see. 
Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine! 



Prayer by Clara H. Scott, 19th Century



No comments:

Post a Comment