Sunday, February 21, 2021

Daily Devotion for Lent 2021 - Day 5

Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5 (NRSV)

If you knew your time on this earth were short, would this change the way you act?

I would think that I would try to get everything in order - I wouldn't want to leave burdens for my loved ones.  I would try to allow for closure in my relationships as much as possible so that it would hopefully make the grief easier.

If I had any grievances, I hope that I would forgive those people.

This is the scenario for many in Thessalonica.  They believed that Jesus would return within their lifetime and sought to act as those who would be ready to receive him.

Paul implies that Christians have a
greater social responsibility than most.

Some may have adopted a "why bother?" attitude toward their employment.  There has probably always been a Johnny Paycheck attitude for a portion of the population that would like to tell their bosses, "Take This Job and Shove It."  But Paul encourages them to stick with it because he didn't know (and reminded them they didn't know either) when this return would occur.

Rather, Paul lifts up the Christian way: faith, love, peace, accountability, encouragement, compassion, patience, joy, prayer and gratitude.

I invite you to read this list again.  I'll wait.

Which of these will you focus on today?  

We, too, are waiting but our waiting has more to do with when we can get back to normal.  While we wait, it is good for us to focus on these positive attributes of Christianity.  This will not only make us more pleasant to be around but it will move the world in a direction that is ready to receive Christ (in all of the nuances this can imply).

So as we think about my original question at the beginning, I shared my actions would be:

  • Live responsibly
  • Stay connected with relationships
  • Forgive offense

As I look at this list, I think that maybe we could live that way without receiving a death sentence first.

Maybe that's what Paul is trying to get across to the Thessalonians and the wider church.  

Prayer for the day:

God, we pray for you to increase our faith and grow our love.  Let us know peace.  May we hold others accountable but more importantly, open ourselves up to it as well.  Help us to offer encouragement even if we don't perceive it is needed.  May we find our first response to be compassion when we hear news.  And when we find ourselves irritable, increase our patience.  Allow joy to flourish in our lives and let us always be grateful for all of your gifts.  We pray these things in Jesus Christ who continues to come to us.  Amen.


Photo by Kevin Spencer via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

All scripture quoted is from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment