Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Daily Devotion for Lent 2021 - Day 36

Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 9

There is a fundamental joy
in sharing with others.

We are continuing in Paul's laying out the Christian responsibility for financially supporting the mission.  As we look at this particular part of his letter, we can see that not everyone was likely on board for sharing in this gift to be delivered to Jerusalem.  Anytime, you feel the need to remind the hearers that this is a "voluntary gift" rather than "extortion" is a good litmus test that not everyone is on board!

Pastors may have overused this text for stewardship sermons and emphasized the phrase, "God loves a cheerful giver."  Of course, it is equally valid theologically to say that God loves a grouchy miser but this may not open the checkbooks quite as effectively!

As I think about my own stance, I am what you would call fiscally conservative.  I don't like to spend money frivolously and there are lots of stories about me being cheap.

Once when Sheryl and I were dating, we were at a cheap theater with some of her family members.  They were looking at getting some snacks and I noticed that they had free refills on the large popcorn bucket and Coke.  I showed them the seven straws I had procured and convinced them this would be the most economical deal.  I think Sheryl's younger cousin was unfortunately on the end and was the one we kept sending for refills.

Somehow, I managed to convince Sheryl to marry me anyway!

While I do like to be thrifty in how I spend my money, I have always cheerfully written my check to the church for our tithe.  Because we are a two-income household that tithes, we have always been one of the larger giving units in the congregation.  I do not begrudge this giving because I see it as a part of our mission to fund God's work in the world.  Just as the mission needed funding at Jerusalem, I have been happy to support works both near and far through the church.

If I think about spending that money on myself, I doubt if my lifestyle would have changed all that much.  I can honestly attest that "the one who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully."  I don't use this as a prosperity gospel where our gifts become an investment.  Rather, I believe that as I sow good cheer in my life through my giving or through other endeavors, I reap the harvest of that same good cheer.  

And I think the world could use some more cheerfulness, don't you?

Prayer for the day:

Blessed God, we give thanks for all of the gifts we have received in this life.  As we examine our lives, we find that blessings abound.  May we trust in this promise.  And help us to sow goodness and generosity and kindness.  Grant us the foresight to look forward to this harvest!  In Christ's name we pray.  Amen.


Photo by hasib via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

All scripture quoted is from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment