Friday, February 24, 2023

Daily Devotion for Lent 2023 - Day 3

 And when was it that we saw you sick... and visited you?

                                                                  Matthew 25:39 

Today, I am thankful for the pastoral care I have received through the years from my involvement with The United Methodist Church.  

When I was a pre-teen, I cut up the achilles tendon on my right foot in a motorcycle accident.  I had several surgeries and in that day, they actually let you recover in the hospital.  While spending several weeks in St Francis Hospital in Tulsa, I was visited by many of the pastors and laity from Boston Avenue.  Before he was a pastor, Richard Fox was a part of what in those days was a clowning ministry.  He showed up to my room in full regalia.  Today, clowns have a bad rap and I'm not sure if they would even be allowed on a children's wing of a hospital but I appreciated the attention.  Lucinda Scheldorf, my youth minister, also brought a poster signed by the entire youth group.

Our senior pastor at the time, Dr. Mouzon Biggs, also visited me there more than once and prayed for my recovery.  Because we were a larg]e church and we broadcast our worship on Channel 8 in Tulsa on Sunday mornings, it seemed like a famous person was coming to see me!

Later, when I was a pastor in Drummond during the late 90's, I found myself in the hospital again - this time in Enid but the hospital was Baptist rather than Catholic affiliated.  I was there to remove a kidney stone surgically and this time, it was my DS, Stan Warfield, who came to see me.  I'm not sure what I said to him but I think it was something pretty funny.  Sheryl, my wife, explained to him, "He's still coming off the drugs!"  Stan was actually Sheryl's pastor in Duncan when she was a child - more of that United Methodist connection.

When we were in Piedmont, the church brought us meals upon meals following the births of both of our children.  I mentioned this just now to Sheryl and she said, "Oh, yeah, we were spoiled!"

Finally, in Edmond, the church cared for me through the death of my mother and then again for my father.  In their final days, they were visited not only by staff but by many of our laity as well.  Linda Merritt in particular sat for hours with my mother and tended to her as she passed away.  I will always appreciate her kindness during this difficult time.

What does it mean to have the care of others bestowed upon you?

When we are sick or distraught or grieving, there is a kindness in not standing in the midst of it alone. Through all of the times I mentioned, the touch of a kind hand was like unto the touch of God.  The church has gifted me with an incarnational love that has sustained me.  

As we move through this particular Lenten season, who is it you know at this time that could use a kind text, a quick phone call or even a card or a visit?

There's a spirituality in comfort


No comments:

Post a Comment