Thursday, December 7, 2023

Second Sunday of Advent - Patience

Lectionary Reading for the Second Sunday of Advent: 2 Peter 3:8-15a

Time is relative - not yet but already here
The lectionary readings for Advent often have apocalyptic themes in them.  Growing up, I had relatives and other adults that I would encounter that looked at the end times scriptures more literally and believed that we were living in the final days.  One way these folks would have adjusted REM's well-known song about "the end of the world as we know it" would have been to replace the refrain of "and I feel fine" with "and you should be more anxious about this!"

But there are ways to read these texts with a wider vision that calls us to stop and ponder our lives with a spiritual eye.

Today's passage tells us something about God.  As Christians under persecution in that day may have longed for the return of Jesus Christ to set things right, this epistle bids them to be patient.  The rationale is that God is interested in saving every last one of us.  

This reminds us of Wesley's prevenient grace that sees all people as children of God whether they acknowledge it or not.  As we approach advent, it may be that we need to exercise patience with others.  We are more irritable when stressed and less likely to respond with the understanding we need.  If others react poorly during this season, we might ask the question, "What kind of anxiety might they be under?"

Prayer: Loving God, thank you for being patient with me.  There are many times when "child of God" rather than "adult in Christ" unfortunately applies.  And as I recognize and receive the forgiveness in Jesus, may I seek to be patient with others, acknowledging that you are still working on them just as you are working on me.  May I be your instrument of love at just the right moments as we approach Christmas.  I pray this in the name of Jesus who loves me even when I don't acknowledge it.  Amen.

 

Photo by JD via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

No comments:

Post a Comment