Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Daily Devotions for Lent 2024

As we approach another season of Lent, I have decided to once again embrace the discipline of journaling my thoughts through this blog as reflections on scripture.  In the past, I have chosen a book of the Bible to read through but this year, I've decided to do a deeper dive into the Sermon on the Mount and the Sermon on the Plain.

This material is found in the Gospels, specifically, Matthew for the former and Luke for the latter.

The Sermon on the Mount is longer and covers chapters five through seven of Matthew's Gospel while the Sermon on the Plain is shorter, documented in Luke 6:20-49.

I will begin posting these devotions to the blog on Ash Wednesday and they will post in the early hours of the morning around 3 am in case there are any who rise early and wish to begin their day with the reading and devotion as their Lenten discipline.  And just to be clear, I do schedule these to post - I'm not up at this hour!

I will also post these to my Facebook and X social media accounts in case you prefer to comment and engage with a larger community.  Of course, you may also leave comments on this blog but that has never had the traction or responses of the social media platforms.

I will be utilizing the text from the New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition found on biblegateway.com but there are many translations available here and you may wish to look at more than one since the readings will be shorter.  

These will post for the 40 days of Lent (I won't post on the six Sundays of Lent) ending with a final post for Easter Sunday on March 31.  If you haven't decided on a Lenten discipline this year, I would invite you to read along with me through this important material.  It may be that you would also like to set a discipline of commenting with your own thoughts about where the material took you as well!

And of course, if you would like to share the blog on social media, this helps distribute it to a wider audience.

I pray that your Lenten season is contemplative and fruitful for your spiritual growth in Christ!


Photo by George Bannister via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment