Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Daily Devotion for Lent 2024, Day 19

“And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward.  But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.  When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard because of their many words.  Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

                                                                        Matthew 6:5-8 (NRSVue)

Prayer is a time when we can communicate with God and bare our souls.  It is also a time when we can listen for God's direction, comfort or admonition.  In such a private space, should prayer ever be public?

Within the United Methodist tradition, we do offer public corporate prayers in worship.  Sometimes these are ancient (such as praying the Lord's Prayer together) and sometimes they are new - something the pastor wrote or discovered in research for the theme of the day.  We utilize litanies that are call and response such as a call to worship.  Sometimes the pastor prays publicly in worship and the congregation listens and prays along silently - often called a pastoral prayer.

These traditions are different from what Jesus is talking about in today's reading.  They are a form of our worship and often bring phrases to our attention that speak to our spirits.  They are liturgical - liturgy meaning work of the people - poetic forms of expression to God.

What Jesus is talking about here are public prayers outside of worship and private prayers that we share with God alone.  The empty phrases to which Jesus refers reminds us that we do not have to approach our prayer time with any pomp and circumstance.  Rather, we can confess what we need to get off our chest.  We can ask for aid for loved ones who are suffering.  We can seek solutions to problems we are facing.  We can ask for direction when we don't know which avenue to pursue.  We can simply be grateful for the many blessings we have received.   

In order to hear God, we must know what God would want in the first place.  This requires us to continue to study the scriptures so that we can shape ourselves in the right direction.  Along with a continual movement through the Bible, passages that I always include in my daily reading and prayer time include Mark 12:28-31 (greatest commandment), 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (marks of love), Galatians 5:22-23 (Fruit of the Spirit).  These help direct my prayer and allow me to listen for God's direction.  The Fruit of the Spirit are also positive words that help me prime my countenance for the day!

By doing this, I believe that I am less likely to ask for things or move in a direction that would be counter to God's will.  

As we move through Lent, this is the time when we examine our basic spiritual practices and see what we may need to adjust.

Prayer for the day: 

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though
I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.  Amen.


Prayer by Thomas Merton from Thoughts in Solitude Copyright © 1956, 1958 by The Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani.

Photo by Connor Tarter via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

New Revised Standard Version, Updated Edition. Copyright © 2021 National Council of Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment