Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day One of Lent, 2014 Ash Wednesday


Maybe you've heard about the teen suing her parents for college tuition.  The above video describes it in a nutshell.

As a parent, my first instinct is to side with the parents who are attempting to set boundaries for their child.  If that child turns 18 and they want out, legally, what can you do?

As I watched the video, I also heard the accusation that the parents had not attempted to contact their daughter over the past few months.  It appears that communication has broken down.

As we begin the season of Lent, we begin to contemplate our own lives with God and our neighbors.  I see in this story a broken family with blame to go around.  This is not uncommon with family conflict but when we're in the middle of it, we often only see our side.

On Ash Wednesday, we reflect upon our own mortality.  This may help us to prioritize between the important and the silly.  Are there relationships in our lives we have messed up over something stupid?

I'm reminded of the story of Jacob in Genesis 32:22-32 when he wrestles all night with God.  The context of this is that he will be facing his estranged brother the next day - the same brother that swore he would kill him when he found him.

Should I stay or should I go?

That's the real question for the family above and it may be ours as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment