Sunday, March 23, 2014

Third Sunday of Lent, March 23, 2014

Got Water?

Today's gospel reading for the lectionary is John 4:5-42 and is the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman.  They pause at the same well together and Jesus offers her living water.


"...those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty."

Verse 14 shares these words of Jesus in a spiritual sense and they would have had a lot more shock value in the first century middle east.

Today, we take water for granted.

It is only when I travel abroad that I remember, I can't just drink water from the tap.  How often do I plunk some ice cubes from the fridge into a glass and fill it up from the tap?


I didn't realize that yesterday was the World Water Day until I saw an article on umc.org.


In fact, I didn't really know that there was a World Water Day.

The United Methodist Church has a water and sanitation ministry that helps to provide clean water for communities so that those of us who have received the Living Water of Christ can help others not to be thirsty again.

As some have given up pop or sweets for Lenten disciplines, we might consider the blessing of being able to have abundant water and to be more aware in our use of it.




Glass of water photo by Jorge Barrios (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment