Saturday, February 28, 2015

Daily Devotion for Lent Day 10

Daily Devotion for Lent

Saturday, February 28, 2015, Day 10

Mark 4:10-34 (NRSV)

It's so easy to blame the birds on the path
for my own lack of attentiveness.
As we see the parable of The Sower explained, we would like to be counted among the good soil where the fruit bears thirty, sixty and one-hundred fold.

I would dare-say that sometimes, I am a hundred-fold Christian.  I have my days, after all.

But I would also confess that sometimes I'm the path.  The Word seems to go in one ear and out the other.

At other times I'm rocky ground.  I fall away from faithfulness at the sign of trouble.

Then there are times that I'm choked by thorns.  Materialism strikes me just like it does you.

I'm rather good at excusing myself, though.

My thought is that our faithfulness sometimes springs forth as quite a surprise - just like The Parable of the Growing Seed.  If we are open to God working through us more of the time, we might just find that we bear fruit more and more often.  After all, who doesn't want to be good soil?

Prayer from Brendan O'Malley:

As once you walked in the garden, Lord,
in the calm of the evening,
so this evening you come seeking us.
If we are tempted to flee form your presence,
change our fear to confidence.
Confessing our sin, 
without blaming others;
we place our hope
in your mercy and forgiveness,
through Jesus, your Son, our Lord.
Amen.


Prayer from A Celtic Primer compiled by Brendan O'Malley

Photo by By Ryan Cheng from Hong Kong (20081213_0192  Uploaded by Snowmanradio) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons


No comments:

Post a Comment