Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Daily Devotion for Day 30 of Lent 2016

Scripture Reading: Exodus 29 (NRSV)

The ordination rites for the priests would be an expensive affair if you looked at the cost of livestock in that day.  It was also a family affair - Aaron's family would be seen as the priestly family.  In fact, priests would only come from his tribe - the tribe of Levi.

Bryan Tener doesn't have a second head.
That is me photo-bombing him at his
ordination reception.  I was honored to
be one of his assisting elders a few years ago.
Today, priestly orders are drawn from all families.  There is not a sense of passing the torch from one generation to the next in terms of a specific family.  Rather, the generational passing is more about spirit than blood.

That being said, I still remember my own ordination and our family connection.  My wife's grandfather, Reverend Loren Heaton, had died earlier that year and we were reading his name at that year's memorial service at annual conference.  Within our tradition, a person who is being ordained may have two assisting elders who lay their hands upon the new clergy person along with the bishop.  Since I was unable to have Rev. Heaton assist, they were able to use his stole in my service.

I was reminded of this when I read verse 29 which reads, " The sacred vestments of Aaron shall be passed on to his sons after him; they shall be anointed in them and ordained in them."

What is it to ascribe sacred meaning to objects?

I think it has to do with the spiritual rhythm in our lives.  Sacred objects can be reminders of the holiness that we seek to obtain.

I don't wear his stoles every Sunday but I do wear the red stole each year at the ordination service at annual conference.  When I do, I am reminded of the connection to the other clergy and that we are all family.

Do you have any special objects that are sacred to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment