Thursday, February 27, 2020

Daily Devotion for Lent 2020 - Day 2

Scripture Reading: Acts 1:12-26 (NRSV)

The disciples have now become apostles who are sent out to be witnesses to the resurrection.  The teachings of Jesus and even his story of suffering and death will always be taught in light of the resurrection.

As they were twelve prior to the betrayal of Judas, we see that his death leaves them short.  Matthew and Acts differ somewhat about how the field was purchased and how Judas died but the essence is the same.  Twelve is key in that this is the number of the tribes of Israel.

Luke 22:28-30 (NRSV) lifts up this importance as Jesus tells the disciples:
“You are those who have stood by me in my trials; and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
The disciples cast lots between two worthy candidates, Joseph called Barsabbas aka Justus and Matthias.  Both had accompanied Jesus from the beginnings of his ministry.  These would have undoubtedly been a part of the seventy others appointed by Jesus in Luke 10:1.

Sometimes important conversations
about what is life-giving happen where
it is easier to feel God's presence.
Matthias becomes the twelfth apostle but that is the last we'll hear about him in Acts.  We see others outside of the twelve which will play a greater role in witnessing to the ends of the earth.

His relative anonymity in Christian history doesn't mean that his witness was not relevant or impacting.  As we consider our own role in the church, we each have a part to play.  It may not be as flashy as being one of the twelve apostles, but our witness may certainly be life changing in ways we may never realize.

As the church continues to change, the culture in many places is moving away from Christianity.  New apostles are needed to go and speak of resurrection to a world that often focuses on death.  As we journey in faith during Lent, what might constitute an effective witness for you?  And who do you know that needs to hear a word of resurrection?

Prayer for the day:

God, may I be an ambassador of the Body of Christ.
May I share an invitation on behalf of my local congregation in a way where it would be well received.
May I speak of resurrection and new life through my actions and my words.
May those I encounter see Christ in me as I see Christ in them.
And may I trust in you to work in both of us.
Amen.


Photo by Kevin Dooley via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

No comments:

Post a Comment