Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Daily Devotion for Lent 2023 - Day 25

But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him.

                                               Luke 15:20b

Today, I'm thankful for The United Methodist Church's teaching on Preceding or Prevenient Grace.

This is the grace that comes to us before we are aware of it.  It is the idea that God is pursuing us to let us know that we are loved and beloved.  

This grace can move us to repentance and salvation through Justifying Grace.  

But it also comes to us throughout our lives and reminds us that we don't walk this journey alone.

Sometimes God surprises us when we least expect it!

When I was pursuing ordained ministry by going to seminary, I mentioned in yesterday's post about being targeted for a possible position in ministry.  It was actually the Director of the Wesley Foundation at OSU.  This was where I went to undergrad and met Sheryl (my spouse).  It was where I began to recognize my call to ministry.  

Needless to say, I was more than excited to begin my ministry there.  I felt like I had lots of plans to reach the students on campus and began to think of students I already knew on campus from my days in youth ministry prior to seminary.

I thought it would be the perfect fit!

But the cabinet didn't see it that way and I was sent to Salem United Methodist Church in Drummond.  I was more nervous about this appointment and didn't feel near as capable.  I had some experience in rural Sapulpa growing up but this is so close to Tulsa that it doesn't count as real rural Oklahoma.  When I got to town, Sheryl was finishing up finals in Georgia and I called her and told her that our driveway actually backs onto Highway 132 going through town.  You could walk from one side of the town to the other.  I had never lived in a community this small!

This ended up being the perfect start to my ordained ministry career.   It allowed me to begin to refine my preaching.  I learned not to get too technical (okay, I still do that sometimes) and I realized that I needed to shorten my messages.  

I learned to care for families through hospital visits and funerals.  

We were able to grow this church each year I was there and during my last year, we led the district in the number of campers attending Canyon camp that summer.  We also led that year in professions of faith.  I don't think the two are unrelated.

What I learned about this was that God was walking alongside me and allowed me to thrive in a situation where I didn't feel as competent.  

I discovered that I wasn't bringing God to this community - God was already present!  My job was to point out where we saw God at work.  I find that evangelism works best when you show people how God is already a part of their lives rather than trying to lift myself up as the example they should strive to be.  It makes more sense in that God has created all of us to be different and diverse.

As you think back on the past, where have you noticed God walking alongside you?  Where have you been surprised with a call from someone that came at just the right time?  When have you thought things wouldn't work out and then seemed to come together in just the right way?

That may be preceding grace working on you!

And as John Rusco (at the OSU Wesley Foundation) would say, "Thank God for that gift!"


I'm pictured with Amanda Mason Arens' family when I baptized her son Kash.  I was fortunate to confirm Amanda in the faith when she was a 6th grader at Drummond.  I love the cycle of ministry!


No comments:

Post a Comment