Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Daily Devotion for Ash Wednesday, February 22

Scripture reading for today: Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21

Key verse from reading: Matthew 6:21, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

When I was an undergraduate at Oklahoma State University, I took a religion class on the New Testament.  It was in this class that I wrote my first sermon using today's scripture from Matthew.  Now this was long before I had decided to be a pastor but I must have felt drawn toward it before I even realized it (there's that preceding grace again).

My instructor was a United Methodist minister but I had never met him before.  My assignment wasn't really a sermon but it was what Biblical scholars call an exegesis which is a critical analysis of a particular Bible passage.  But it was my first exegesis and was pretty close to a sermon since that's what I'd heard all my life.  I received an A+ on the assignment and was pretty blown away by the grade.  It was one of the signs in my life pointing me toward ministry as a profession.

I believe that God calls all of us to some form of ministry.  Some of us are set aside as clergy, but in our baptism, God calls each of us to reach out to the world as we seek to faithfully follow Christ.  So as the season of Lent begins and we become introspective in our faith, what do you think God is calling you to do as a follower of Jesus Christ?

Breath Prayer for today: Gracious God, lead my heart to you.

3 comments:

  1. Focusing on the question of being called as a follower of Jesus Christ, I think it's important to uphold the exemplary life of Jesus. This means to me to truly listen to others, share grace, uphold joy in our life. I see Jesus' ministry being one of relationships through his incarnation. I think it's vital for me to build relationships around me. My hope would be that I bring joy and grace to those who I meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that you do a pretty good job of that Jana! Does your Lenten discipline have to do with sharing this joy & grace in relationships or does it have more to do with connecting with Jesus Christ so that you stay grounded in that joy and grace? Or maybe something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Thanks Sam! I would say it would have to be the latter. I think often I tend to pour out a lot and fail to fill the cup back up. So, during this Lenten discipline, it would have to be to connect with Jesus Christ in order to keep the joy and grace alive.

    ReplyDelete