Saturday, March 24, 2012

Daily Devotion for Saturday, March 24, 2012

Scripture Reading for Today: John 12:1-11

Key Verse from today's reading: John 12:10, "The chief priests decided that they would kill Lazarus too."
Raising of Lazarus
by Carel Fabritius, 1645

What was the testimony of Lazarus?  It must have been impressive.  The chief priests didn't like it because it was giving the Jesus movement credibility.

Would his death refute this miracle?  It would no longer come from the horse's mouth so to speak which would take away some credibility.  So it would seem that the chief priests didn't believe it to be real - they must have thought Lazarus was lying.

Either that or this piece of evidence didn't fit with their world-view so they simply would not allow themselves to believe it.

Sometimes people are like this.

The Flat Earth Society comes to mind.

What about when people are in huge debt and continue to charge wants (not needs) on their credit cards?

What about when Christians take poetic or symbolic passages of the Bible literally but do not follow through on the implications?

For instance, I once threw down the gauntlet to some college students studying Revelation.  They were taking it literally and believed that giant mutant Locusts were going to come and eat their non-believing neighbors.  I suggested that if they truly believed that this was going to actually happen then they needed to be telling their friends about the imminent danger instead of sitting around talking about it.

Self-righteousness: 1, Humility: 0.

And yet as a Christian, I truly believe that following Jesus Christ is life-changing.  And if I truly believe this (part of my world-view), why would I not share this with every other person I encounter who doesn't follow Christ?

I'm not suggesting the annoying approach where I drive people away by being too overbearing, but maybe changing up how I portray myself to where my Christianity isn't so subtle.

Otherwise, the chief priests and I are both attempting a cover-up.

It only differs in degrees.

Breath Prayer: Loving Jesus, love through me.







No comments:

Post a Comment