Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Daily Devotion for Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Scripture Reading for Today: Isaiah 44:1-8


Key verse for today: Isaiah 44:3, "I will pour out water upon thirsty ground and streams upon dry land.  I will pour out my spirit upon your descendants and my blessing upon your offspring."

A rocky stream in Hawaii - not a bad place
to enjoy the gift of water
After the summer we experienced in Oklahoma, it is easy to see how water becomes associated with God's spirit and blessing.  For the people who lived in Isaiah's age, water was important to a much greater magnitude.  Importing food from other areas was much more difficult and costly.


Hundreds of years after Isaiah, when Jesus spoke of living water - running water used as a metaphor for the Holy Spirit - this image makes good sense to people in an arid climate.  


God's promise of pouring out the Holy Spirit as well as blessing upon us may be something in which we fail to immerse ourselves. I'm reminded of the song, Toes by Norah Jones:


                 The current is strong from what I've heard
                 It'll whisk you down the stream
                 But I never seem to have the time
                 So my toes just touch the water
                 My toes just touch the water


We may be reluctant recipients of God's grace.  Could it be that we would rather not be beholden to God?  We would rather not acknowledge grace in our lives because then it is easier to ignore God's call upon us.  We dip a toe in the water rather than jumping in whole-heartedly!


How have you experienced God's blessing in your life? And the follow-up meddling question: what are you doing about it?


Breath Prayer: Jesus, give me living water.






No comments:

Post a Comment