Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Daily Devotion for Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Today's Daily Scripture: John 12:36-43


Key Scripture: John 12:43, "They believed, but they loved human praise more than God's glory."

nachos by Jean-Philippe Dufour
I remember when we got our first microwave.  We made a lot of nachos. 


I also remember our first remote control for the television (which was always color - don't remember the black and white sets).


Things have generally gotten faster but then so have our expectations.


Dial up internet was not that long ago (I know some of you may still be slugging along but those days are probably numbered).


Now smart phones are making information so portable that it is changing the way we advertise and the way we process data.

This AT&T commercial has been over-viewed but also accurately gauges where we are as a society in what we are looking for.



I'm not sure that we've ever stopped to consider how fast is fast enough?  Is it worth the price tag?


Is 27 seconds such an eternity?


Okay, I'll admit I'm entering old-man-yelling-at-the-kids-to-get-out-of-his-yard zone but I include myself in the critique.


My need for speed (with apologies to Top Gun) really puts my focus on me.  If I don't get it NOW, then my day (or at least my minute) is ruined.  External stimuli begin to control our mood more and more.


The scripture for today ends sadly for some - they believed but they were so focused on the self that they couldn't buck the status quo.


It makes me ask the question, "Where am I giving in to what is popular rather than standing up for what is right?"  After all, we all love human praise quite a bit.


It is a tough question - especially on a Wednesday but there it is. And what's taking those nachos so long?


Breath prayer: Endless God, give me perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment