Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Daily Devotion for Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Daily Scripture Reading: Proverbs 30:1-9


Key verse for today: Proverbs 30:8b-9.  Don’t give me either poverty or wealth; give me just the food I need. Or I’ll be full and deny you, and say, “Who is the LORD?”  Or I’ll be poor and steal, and dishonor my God’s name.


Moderation in all things.


It's a good rule to live by but not necessarily an easy one.


We pray this in the prayer Jesus taught us: "Give us this day our daily bread."

Copyright © Erin Hanson 2007-2010
I believe that my basic instincts drive me to want more than I need.  It's a matter of storing up for the winter.  We all go into survival mode.  Except that we don't live in a hunter-gatherer society anymore.


When I gather the excess fat, my body is not going to later experience a period of famine and burn it off.


In a more extreme sense, I do this with my buying power.  I purchase to fulfill.  And then when I'm unsatisfied, I go shopping again.


I don't believe that ambition is bad.  I don't believe that we can't enjoy the good things in life.  But I do believe that these things are not the main things.




Where is the main area in your life that you struggle with simplicity?


Breath prayer for today: O Jesus, you are enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment