Thursday, February 19, 2015

Daily Devotion for Lent 2015 Day 2

Daily Devotion for Lent

Day 2, Thursday, February 19, 2015


Jesus Teaches in the Synagogues
 by James Tissot
Authority is the word that stands out to me in this reading.  Jesus has authority over the unclean spirit.  

He teaches with authority.  

He has authority over the illnesses.

We often pray to this Jesus.  We seek his authority over the illnesses of people whom we love.

But what kind of authority do we delegate to Jesus over our lives?

Are there places where we would like to keep to ourselves?

Places that we would say, "Hands off, Jesus!"

This is the difficulty of discipleship.  Our independent natures often keep us from experiencing the true peace of Christ.


John Wesley's Covenant Prayer is a good one for us to consider following today's reading:


I am no longer my own, but yours.

Put met to what you will, rank me with whom you will;

put me to doing, put me to suffering.

Let me be employed by you or laid aside for you,

exalted for you or brought low for you.

Let me be full, let me be empty.

Let me have all things, let me have nothing.

I freely and heartily yield all things

to your pleasure and disposal.

And now, O glorious and blessed God,

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

you are mine, and I am yours. So be it.

And the covenant which I have made on earth,

let it be ratified in heaven.

Amen.





Photo by James Tissot [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.  The original is on display at the Brooklyn Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment