Wednesday, February 27, 2019

What Just Happened?

I love The United Methodist Church!

This is the place that has nurtured and taught me in the faith.  I have life-long friends because of my relationship with the denomination.

I answered God's call upon my life to set apart my life in service to the people of the UMC!

Part of that service has been to serve on Oklahoma's delegations to General Conference and I throw myself into that just like I do everything.  The church I love seems very divided on the issue of how we love the segment of humanity that is not in the straight majority with regards to sexuality.

I've never been short on conviction.  I ask your
forgiveness if my enthusiasm has led me 
to offend rather than persuade.
There has been consistently through the years about 55 percent that have voted to retain the prohibition on the marriage of people of the same gender as well as the ordination of "self-avowed practicing homosexuals" (2016 Book of Discipline).  This also means that there is a sizeable minority of 45 percent that is not able to pass their legislation but can make things very uncomfortable for the majority.  At the General Conference we just witnessed, we passed a flawed traditional plan that we were unable to amend to make it constitutional.  The Judicial Council will examine it and let us know in April what parts (if any) will become a part of church doctrine.

The majority of the leadership of the bishops in the United States comes out of the 45 percent.  Our general church agencies also has leadership that resides in the 45 percent.  This has created frustration for the 55 percent majority with the worship at these conferences as well as some of the teaching materials and emphasis.  Now you must remember that the 55 percent majority includes a minority of churches in the United States and the majority of the churches from our Central Conferences which includes Africa, Asia and Europe.  This makes for an interesting dynamic!

Our ministry with the LGBTQ community is not our strong suit.  We disagree in the United States and we disagree around the world.  We have disagreed at many general conferences before!  Our strategy for dealing with it was to have a general conference that focused only on this issue - as if we could deal with it once and for all and then focus on other things.  Unfortunately, books like Strengths Finder remind us that it is not a good idea to focus only on your greatest weakness.  It is better to lean into what you are good at.

At other General Conferences, we may have the debates but we also have reports and decide on legislation on other issues where we can find common ground.  These allow us to celebrate our victories and to remind us why we are together.  When we take those out of the equation, we are left giving each other the stink eye!  In hindsight, this was not a good idea!

It may be that the denomination as a whole is gearing up toward a metamorphosis.  Whether this will be two new denominations or a variety of expressions is unknown.

I do believe that this is not something specific to our church but a reflection of a disease that is spreading around the world.  In the United States, polarization is easy to see in our government.  We know it is broken.  But it is also affecting other governments across the world.

When we distance ourselves from others, it is easier to overlook harm.  When we separate ourselves from others, it is easier to allow oppression because we do not identify with them – they are the other. Violence against others can then take root because we don’t really imagine them to be our siblings.  But our faith reminds us that we see the other differently.  In fact, when we have a problem showing respect, Jesus tells us in Matthew “I am the other!”

The church I serve is not theologically homogenous.  It is not politically homogenous.  We would not unite around a whole variety of issues.  But we do unite around Jesus who commands us to love God and neighbor.  That second part trips us up sometimes.  When we polarize, it becomes even more difficult.
But I believe that the church serves an important function.  There is no other place in our society where people voluntarily associate with others who think differently.  Within the United States, we need The United Methodist Church as a place where we pledge to love one another in spite of our differences.  It is a commitment and a discipline.   People seem bad at both these things today maybe because we are able to have our own way so much of the time.
So if you were anxious from the General Conference we just witnessed, that is understandable.  Anxiety abounded from all sides!  It is uncomfortable to sit with one another and disagree.  Some may be experiencing a lot of anger which is one of the stages of grief.  
When I offer pastoral care to someone who has just been through an intense experience, I advise them to hold off on any major life decisions until they get a little distance from it.  I think this is wise advice for any United Methodist today.  We need to sit and process what just happened.  We need to take some time in prayer.  We need to gather in our local churches for worship.
I would advise pastors to heed this advice as well.  Don't immediately lean into wrath or decision.  Instead, lean into the grace of Jesus Christ.  It is our strength after all.  Remind your people of their faith and the story of salvation.  Ultimately, this is what holds us together.
And finally, let me say that I will walk this journey with you.  I am pledged to love you.  This is what God has ordained me to do.
This is why I continue to declare that I love The United Methodist Church.   
Even when its hard.
In Christ,
Sam

  

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome - continued blessings as this unfolds!

      Delete
  2. Sam, I appreciate your insight and approach to this very divisive subject especially during this difficult time in the life of the Church! You and I are often not “united around a variety of issues,” however, our spirits are united in Christ! As we try to find our way through this hazy maze, I will be refering the congregation I’m serving to read your blog and meditate on it as their way forward...as we wait on God’s move...in the meantime. Thank you for the reminders you give here, the encouragement you offer ALL, and for your service/leadership during this part of our church's journey TOWARD perfection. Thanks for the blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful - as we watch what unfolds, it reminds me that being relational in Christ is always easier with those who think alike but maybe more important with those who don't. Continued blessings on your journey and leadership!

      Delete
  3. Sam. Thanks for your comments. I agree with your analysis of the current crisis. However, I have a longer history with the UMC and Methodist Church before it. I have to say I am much saddened by what i see and hear of that denomination today. It is not the church God called me to serve! I keep hearing the phrase “I’m only human” andI wonder if that is the excuse we will give when we stand before the throne of judgement. It seems Wesley in no longer relevant and Jesus Is ignored when convent. I am angry with my church. I believe it has failed the God that called it into being and the Jesus who calls to broadcast the call to faith. It is that God who made us human are we going to continue to fail that humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in the afterlife, I hope I don't hear, "I was a stranger and you voted me out."

      Delete
  4. Excellent Sam....Well said. I was really hoping and praying that this GC could give us a final word on this issue...but that is not to be. Perhaps its time to cut ties with the churches outside the United States. I know of at least 3 young people...that have made the decison to leave the UMC and they were cradle kids. One young man who I buried his dad, did his wedding, baptized their baby, and 2 months later buried the baby when she died of SIDS, and wept and counseled with him as he struggled with the decision to divorce and accept his sexuality as a gay man...is embracing the Episcopal Church. It's not his home congregation that is running him off....they are the most loving, accepting and open congregation I served, but the decisions powered by forces outside the US directly affect people here. I was saddened to see the one church plan fail. I would love to be able to do that young man's next wedding when he finds his soulmate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am counseling people to stay but at the same time, if people are feeling abused by the church's stance, as a person of privilege, I cannot fault them if they leave. I will continue to love and include all those who would like to walk together in covenant on this path. Blessings on your journey!

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Sam. Your explanation of General Conference results and guidance of how we go forward were very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I appreciate it! Blessings as we go forward together!

      Delete
  6. Sam,

    Thanks for the good word. Two things I would like to share back that have helped me through this week. First, I am teaching Hebrews in Sunday School, and we have been camped in Chapter 6 for several weeks. As we have neared the end of the chapter and have been discussing the “hope set before us so that we may be greatly encouraged”, we have discussed how God’s divine nature (seen through virtues and God’s character) provides us that hope and encouragement. That character includes God’s goodness, love and grace. Because God is holy and good, he is also merciful and just. These things we seem to know. But just as important and I think we forget this, God is faithful (Psalm 33:4) and His promises and plans are immutable (Isaiah 14:27; Numbers 3:19). Our God is sovereign and all-powerful. As Peter said (2 Peter 1:3), “His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him whom called us by his own glory and goodness”. We need to see His glory and promises with our eyes—keep our focus toward Him and continue to practice loving each other as he does.

    Second, as we are reminded of His love and faithfulness, we are also reminded that there is never fear in love and it is that love that binds all things. The church that we are called to be in is still here in front of us. We are still called to serve, love and forgive each other within the family He has given us. We can continue to seek Him and learn from one another, provide for the poor and needy, see justice, and share the good news with the those who are hopeless and hurting. The gospel is still alive in us even when we aren’t at our best with each other, and ultimately we are still better together, as a family of faith.

    My heart hurts for my brothers and sisters and our church. Praying for the love and peace of Christ for all of those that I know are hurting, confused and angry. Take care, Sam, and again, thanks for the good word.

    Monty Porter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the helpful comments - I know that this is a difficult time for the UMC. I appreciate the solid leadership that laity like you are offering!

      Delete