Monday, November 25, 2019

But What If I'm Right?

Lectionary Reading: Romans 13:11-14 (NRSV)

This Sunday, we will begin our looking toward the birth of Jesus Christ with the first Sunday of the Advent cycle.  During Advent, I would like to examine the theme, "Waking Up" and specifically within this Sunday's epistle reading, we are thinking about "Waking to the Light."

As I write this, we are still approaching Thanksgiving.  I think about Paul's advice for us.  It doesn't sound bad in that we can mostly count ourselves innocent of the charges of verse thirteen until you put it in context for the upcoming holiday, which for most of us consists of quite a bit of feasting (or reveling).

I'm not worried about drunkenness although I realize that some families include a lot of drinking on Thanksgiving - some for celebration and some as a tonic for relatives they may not see eye to eye with!

I'm thankful for taste buds!
Debauchery can be defined as "excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures."  While this usually seems more sexual - especially when combined with "licentiousness", I suppose it could also refer to taking that third piece of pie!

Finally, we have quarrelling and jealousy.  My hope is that these don't visit you within your wider family gatherings!  Sometimes we imagine that it is really only considered quarrelling if we're wrong.

All of these are written "tongue in cheek" but they do remind us to check our own house before we throw stones at the neighbors'.

I sincerely hope that you celebrate Thanksgiving by counting your many blessings.  Share at least one thing with a family member for which you are truly thankful.

Then on Sunday, we'll begin looking toward Christmas.  I like the theme of "Waking" and it reminds us of the reality that when Christ comes, we see differently.  We interpret differently.  Our very awareness is different.

I hope you'll join us in some fashion for worship on Sunday.  Until then, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

In Christ,

Sam

Photo (which includes a recipe) by master phillip via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.


No comments:

Post a Comment