Saturday, March 8, 2014

Day 4 of Lent, Saturday, March 8, 2014

It’s useless to rise early and go to bed late,
    and work your worried fingers to the bone.
Don’t you know he enjoys
    giving rest to those he loves?
                            Psalm 127:2 (The Message)

Okay, today is the day we are supposed to set our clocks ahead one hour when we go to bed tonight.  In the fall, I think Daylight Savings Time sounds like a good thing.  Who doesn't enjoy the extra hour of sleep?

In the spring, it is a nightmare.

It seems as if most people in the United States don't get enough sleep anyway.  I'm wondering why we are messing with our already distressed sleep patterns.

I guess it comes down to will power.  Most people don't go to bed early and just suffer for it.  I say this as one pleading "guilty".
This is what I'll feel like Sunday afternoon.

So as I write this for Lent, how in the world do I find God in the midst of a lost hour of sleep?

I guess we could consider this a fast from sleep but that doesn't sound very healthy.

We could also say that this is a test of faithfulness for those attending worship the next morning but that puts God in the role of detached scientist who is tinkering and observing reactions.

I suppose for myself, I have to remember that God sustains me when I am tired and lifts me up when I am weary.  This is a good reminder for today and especially for Sunday morning when the alarm rings all too early.


So Sleepy by Fiona Apple featuring Jon Brion and the Punch Brothers


Photo By xlibber (Sleepy Time Uploaded by russavia) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment