Monday, March 25, 2019

Daily Devotion for Lent 2019 - Day 17

Scripture Reading: Matthew 13:1-23 (NRSV)

I like how the sower in the parable throws seeds indiscriminately.

But wouldn't you be able to recognize the path?

Or where it is rocky or thorny?

Why bother with seeds for these areas?

I think sometimes we don't offer grace quite so freely because we make the decision on behalf of others.  We may decide that someone will not prioritize it correctly and it will be snatched away.  Someone may have no root for the grace received and they will fall aside.  Or someone may be too influenced by other things and we know they won't stick with it.

We preserve the grace we offer for the good soil.

What if we never ran out of seeds?
Except we rarely encounter any and so we keep it all to ourselves.

I guess when this happens, we are not multiplying thirty, sixty or a hundredfold.

If we are not multiplying it, this means we may not really understand that grace is never to be hoarded.  According to the explanation, those that do not understand are really the seed sown on the path.

This gets back to what Jesus says about judgment in the sermon on the mount.  It is how the Pharisees act because they don't want to waste their time with people that will never follow all of the Law.

I want to be like the Sower in the parable.  I want to spread God's grace indiscriminately.  It is not an easy task because I am good at seeing people for who they are.  Or at least I think I am.

Maybe that's what Jesus means when he says, "blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear."  When we try to see people as God sees them, our judgements fall away.


Prayer for the day:

God, the sower has come to me before.
Sometimes I've been hard like the path.
Other times troubles have seemed larger than my faith.
And if I am honest with myself, I do find that alternative voices are distracting.
But there are times when I've received this word well.
In these times, I've become the sower.
And grace abounds.
Amen.
 
Photo by EU Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operation's Photostream via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

No comments:

Post a Comment