Friday, March 8, 2019

Daily Devotion for Lent 2019 - Day 3

Scripture Reading: Matthew 2:1-12 (NRSV)

We often follow the path we're on
without questioning where it is leading us.
How threatening is Jesus to the status quo?  We often may wonder why Rome crucified him.  Why was he so problematic that they had to shut him up in this way?

Our reading today is a foreshadowing of the crucifixion.  Matthew shows us how Jesus was threatening to the powers that be from the very beginning.  

Herod wants him ended before his life can even begin.  

As we already know the identity of Jesus as the Messiah from the first chapter, Matthew begins to show how this is true as verse six of today's reading references Micah 5:2:
"But you, O Bethlehem of Ephrathah, who are one of the little clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to rule in Israel, whose origin is from of old, from ancient days."   (NRSV)
This is the line of King David who was a mighty warrior and leader of armies.  The people expected someone to fit this mold to come as their Messiah.  

But God is going to work through Jesus differently.

We see from the history of Israel's monarchy that a warrior rebel king who would free the people from Roman bondage would actually do little to upset the status quo.

The wise men seem to be innocent players in this stage who simply come to honor what their mystic arts tell them is the birth of someone very important.

How are we like the wise men?  We seek to honor God.  Praise God.  Worship God.  But then, when we are done, we return to our homes.

We did our duty.  We may have even avoided causing God any trouble.

But did we allow it to change us?

While legends have sprung up filling out the stories of these astrologers, the Bible is silent on them.

If they were changed, we are ignorant of their transformation.

As I move through Lent, it is challenging to allow myself to be moved off dead center by Jesus.

What if I am more like Herod, trying to preserve the status quo?  Are there times I would rather quiet my Lord?

Prayer for the day:

God, I know you see me.
I know you know me.
I know you follow my actions.
But I often feel that I am insignificant to you in the grand scheme of things.

This allows me to overlook the little things I've missed doing or the minor things I've done wrong.
It scares me to consider that I might be more important than I think.
Help me to consider this a little longer.
Amen.


Photo by Just Add Light via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

No comments:

Post a Comment