Monday, December 21, 2020

Christmas is Coming!

Christmas Eve

Lectionary: Luke 2:1-20 (NRSV)


As we approach Christmas Eve, I recognize that things are going to be different this year.  This will be the first time in I don't know how many years that I'll be in bed before midnight on Christmas Eve.  It is not something I relish as the worship on this night really defines Christmas for me.

As I look back on all the various services we usually offer, I see that it is kind of a grueling schedule.  We would see lots of people and their families - some of which we hadn't seen for a long time.  But they might show up on Christmas.  Worshipping together makes Christmas special for so many families.

At home, we try to worship together as a family each Sunday morning at 11 am.  We access our service through YouTube on David's Xbox.  This way we get a good picture and good sound.  Kyla (who sings and plays violin in the recorded service) usually nitpicks her presentation.  I try not to nitpick my own errors.  Sometimes our dog Pepper will distract us by doing something cute.  It is not perfect but then worshipping in person has its own idiosyncrasies.  Errors are made when we're there "live" and distractions can also abound.

One thing I really miss about the lack of in-person worship has been Holy Communion.  Minus a few times on zoom, we haven't been able to offer it since March.  It has always been a staple of the Christmas Eve candlelight service.  This year, we'll have a time of drive-by Communion at our church.  It will be on Christmas Eve from 2 to 4 pm.  There will be single serving elements set out on a table for you to receive.  I will consecrate them prior to this time and will be standing just inside the glass doors.  I'll offer a silent prayer of blessing for each family that comes by.  We will also have candles available if you would like to pick one up for each family member worshipping with you for our online service.  It will launch on YouTube at 4 pm or will launch as a "live" service on Facebook at 7 pm.  The service is then available on either platform for whenever you would like to watch.  Some die-hards will pull it up at 11 pm which is their normal time to worship on Christmas Eve!  So if you watch it after dark, we would encourage you to light your own candle at home and sing "Silent Night" with us to end the service with the electric lights out!

I always wonder how many services we should offer.  Our sanctuary is not as big as other churches who average what we do.  So on special days like Christmas Eve and Easter, we usually have more demand for our space.  Next year, I hope that we'll be able to gather in abundance.  I think our demand will be significantly higher just because it is something we've been denied.  So while we will miss gathering in person this year, let us make a pledge to not take for granted what we have.  I don't begrudge the present but rather I look forward with hope to a future.  This seems to sum up Advent for us pretty well.

On Sunday, we'll worship again in the morning (or you may later but that's when it's first available).  We'll have a service of lessons in carols.  It will be bittersweet because this will be Rev. Trey Witzel's last Sunday in worship with us as our associate pastor.  Trey's journey has intersected with mine for many years, starting at Canyon for church camp when he was an adolescent (he didn't have the impressive beard back then).  I was fortunate enough to be his candidacy mentor and then his senior pastor when he came back from seminary.  I knew it was just a matter of time that he would be moved - the bishop and the cabinet are always watching out for young talent!  But it has been a privilege serving with him and I'll miss our interaction throughout the week.

As I ponder the Christmas story anew this year, I'm reminded that there were no traditions that got upended that first Christmas.  It was new for Joseph and Mary.  It was new for the shepherds.  It was even new for the angels.  There was nothing to be disappointed about.  This is helpful to me as I think about this year.  Christmas is not about where I worship or celebrate.  It is not about what I did or didn't receive or even about what I gave.  It is about celebrating the Christ child born into the world.  The joy that I receive from this realization shouldn't sit and stay with me.  Rather it should be passed along.

We may have to be creative this year in how we do the passing.  But at least we won't be in a rut!

Merry Christmas!

Sam


The picture is of First United Methodist Church of Edmond where I serve and was taken by Jana Gray, one of our church members.  I like the fat snowflakes she got in the picture - it really speaks to me of Christmas!  Used by permission.


2 comments:

  1. Not being able to gather with my church family for Christmas Eve is the hardest part of this entire pandemic for me. This one hurts, but I understand why it must be so terriby different this year. Thank you for sharing your own thoughts on this. I know I'm not alone, but hearing it from our pastor really does help. Merry Christmas! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was definitely different. I hope you took comfort in the various ways we extended our spirituality in the midst of our worldwide pause. Merry Christmas, Kim!

      Delete