Monday, December 14, 2020

When it Takes Extra Strength to Do the Right Thing

Fourth Sunday of Advent, Year B

Lectionary Scripture: Romans 16:25-27 (NRSV)

Every child goes through a learning curve.  After you learn to speak, the lessons become more subtle.  We learn how to fit in with traditions and customs that may seem mysterious to a child.

I can remember angering my family members right before Christmas one year.  When I was three or four, my siblings were both teenagers and sometimes teens assume that everyone is at the same place they are developmentally.  I knew that Christmas was exciting - we had a Christmas tree and it was decorated with so many interesting objects.  There were wrapped presents under the tree - some with my name on them.  I was told that I couldn't open them until Christmas morning.  This may be where I learned to spell my name - incentive is a good teacher!

At some point, after much cajoling, I wormed the details out of some of the gifts my sister got the other members of my family.  It was so cool to know what was inside those wrapped presents.  I just knew they would love them.  So I told each person what they were getting.  I just knew this would make them happy and I couldn't wait until Christmas morning.

Amazingly, this backfired for me.  I didn't really understand the delayed gratification that came with waiting to open the gifts.  The nuance of surprise was lost on me.  But I did get that I had done something wrong.  I had betrayed a trust.  No one seemed very happy - even the people who got to discover what they were getting!  Yes, I was not very old, but these are the instances where we begin to learn how we are going to get along with each other.  I learned that part of the fun of Christmas was the anticipation for the actual day.  Of course, adults sometimes forget that time is relative and for children, waiting for Christmas involves a much larger percentage of their lifetimes.

There is a certain excitement that
only comes with the anticipation!


But this is also part of Christian discipleship.  We must each learn what it means to put off short-term pleasure for something that is even more lasting.  As we await Christmas this week, we reflect upon our own lives and see how this is true.  We often make sacrifices of what we want for the good of others or the gain of the whole.  It is part of our faith.

Paul mentions this in his doxology to the Romans in this week's epistle reading.  We don't have to wait to see what God got us this year - it has already been disclosed to us.  So God grants us the strength to be faithful.  This is good because it is not always easy.  Sometimes we are willing to shortchange people around us as long as we are getting what we want.  Of course, this is antithetical to the spirit of Christmas!

The strength we receive from God gives us the ability to be obedient to this faith.  We are getting extra-strength to do the right thing.  Of course, you know what I'm talking about.  As we share with relatives, friends and extended family members this year, there will be opportunities for your to bite your tongue.  Granted, there may not be as many chances this year due to the isolation we are experiencing but there will be phone calls, texts and emails.  

As I think about it, maybe we're all still on a learning curve!

For this Fourth Sunday of Advent, we'll continue our exploration of this passage of scripture.  Our words that I have chosen to focus on for Sunday are strength and obedience.  We could probably use more of both right now.  I hope you'll join us online for worship!

In Christ,

Sam


Photo by Richard Gillin via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.


No comments:

Post a Comment