Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Daily Devotion for Lent 2021 - Day 19

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 8 (NRSV)

In Paul's day, meat purchased in the marketplace at Corinth was likely first offered as a sacrifice in a temple to one of the many gods or goddesses available for worship there.  If you had previously believed in and worshipped these deities, partaking of the food offered in these religious ceremonies might feel like you are still engaging in your former practice.

Long habits and customs - especially when they revolve around belief and religion - are hard to break and perhaps easy to fall back into.  It may not be as difficult to quit as smoking but there may be some similarities to give us an idea.

Paul speaks of those who understand that these idols have no power over them as those who possess knowledge.  Some of those who now follow Christ might still believe in the reality of these gods - they just choose God in Christ over these other options.  Paul refers to them as weak because they might waver in their new beliefs and practices.

As a community of faith, Paul advises that those who are strong in the faith should help those who are weak.  This may mean putting aside freedoms that we have such as eating the meat that was offered to idols if it will cause any to stumble in their faith.  This doesn't seem fair at all!  I recognize that it doesn't do any harm - so why should I limit myself?

It is because of my faith in Christ that I care for those who are struggling.

What are freedoms that we might limit today to help the larger community?  One example might be continuing to wear masks in public after you have been vaccinated.  You don't wear it because you might catch the coronavirus but because scientists are not sure if you can still be a carrier and expose someone who is vulnerable.  

We do it out of the concern for the weak!  This is the Christian value that Paul is sharing with us through his letter to the Corinthians all those centuries ago!

Prayer for the day:

Loving God, help me to rest in you daily.  Still those desires in me that place my own rights so far above my neighbors that I don't see when I'm stepping on them.  May I value the community in Christ to which I belong as something to nurture.  And where I've gained knowledge of you, O God, temper it with love so that my knowledge does not make me weak.  In Christ I pray.  Amen.


Photo by Gilbert Mercier via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

All scripture quoted is from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment