Thursday, March 3, 2022

Daily Devotion for Lent - Day 2

Scripture Reading: Luke 1:26-80

It is interesting to me to note that Mary's song or The Magnificat was attributed to Elizabeth in some early manuscripts of Luke.  It does make for a pairing with Zechariah and his prophetic offering.  Her prayer also has similarities with Hannah's prayer in 1 Samuel 2:1-10.  And of course, both Hannah and Elizabeth had difficulty conceiving.

Regardless of who uttered it, the words for Luke are shining a light toward the Christ.  This will be John's role as we see from his reaction in the womb!

It is important to remember that the Jewish people during this time were under the dominion of Roman rule.  They were looking for someone to set them free.  

As I think about the state of the world today, those in Ukraine might easily repeat
the words of Zechariah in verse 71, "that we would be saved from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us."

Those of us living in more peaceful (yet polarized) conditions might state these as well.  But as I think about our sisters and brothers whose lives are on the line, I wonder about my own feelings of enmity.  

The banner for this peace march for Ukraine
is directed at Putin but it may be a good question
for any of us in dealing with our own hostility.
Jesus can accomplish this salvation from our enemies and those who hate us, but he doesn't do it with weapons.  

If his salvation comes in an unexpected way, I must ask myself why I fall back into the old patterns so easily.  This is an especially appropriate question during Lent.

As I hear Zechariah's words echo to me, how do I receive the light as I "sit in darkness and in the shadow of death." 

And how do we allow the risen one "to guide our feet into the way of peace"?

Prayer for the day:

God, help us to live in holiness and righteousness today and in all of our days.  And help us to recognize that our holiness and righteousness comes with a willingness to forgive.  And when this gives us pause, grant us resilience to follow our Lord.  We pray these things in the name of the Christ.  Amen.


Photo by Elvert Barnes via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.

2 comments: