Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 30 of Lent, Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Today's Reading: Luke 18:1-17

I remember going to Denny's Restaurant for a Grand Slam with my good friend Terry Eads when I was home in Tulsa visiting from college.  They put us at a half-booth with the split table that could extend to make a large table for more seating or fold up to make two tables for two smaller parties.

There were two other young men sitting next to us.  It's hard to pretend you're at two separate tables when their is such a small gap dividing you.  We were essentially seated together!

They were speaking of religious things which peaked my interest so I struck up a conversation.

I found out that they had been "slain in the Spirit" and wanted to know more about their experience.

When they found out that I had not received this spiritual gift, their demeanor toward me changed.

I eventually asked them, "You still think I'm going to heaven, right?  I am a Christian too, you know."

One of them said, "Well, yeah.  You just may not be in as nice a neighborhood..."

Then they laughed and he said, "I'm just kidding!"

Except that it didn't feel like he was.

When I left that evening, I didn't feel like being "slain in the Spirit" was something that would help me mature in my faith.  I'm sure there are many people whom this helps but these two had a long way to go.

As Jesus shows today, we should be persistent in our prayer lives - but it should also make us humble like the tax collector rather than self-assured like the Pharisee.

I've tried to remember this life lesson through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment