Monday, March 19, 2012

Daily Devotion for Monday, March 19, 2012

Scripture Reading: Exodus 15:22-27


Key verse: Exodus 15:23, "When they came to Marah, they couldn’t drink Marah’s water because it was bitter. That’s why it was called Marah."


Marah means bitter.  Do you think it was called this before all these people came wandering out of the desert looking for something to drink?


Did they have a map they were looking at and said, "Well, there's a spring on the map but it's named bitter."


"Okay, let's try that one!"


I remember the first time I saw a mirage.  We were driving down the highway and I was a child trying to get the miles to go by faster.  I saw what looked like water on the road ahead.  I was sure that it had rained and left standing water ahead.  But it was a trick of the eyes.


Water is life-giving and it is soothing to have so much water that you can bathe in it.
Photo by Christopher Bruno


As a child (maybe on that same trip) of around four or five, I remember swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.  It was clear water and the waves were fairly calm.   While standing in the water up to my chin, I saw all of these little fish swimming around me.  It was probably the first time I had really communed with wildlife in quite that way.  What a joy!


I've known people that could have been named Marah.  If you dare to ask them about their day, you will be sorry that you did.  They'll tell you more than you bargained for.  We tend to avoid people like this because they are what my friend Jana Hogg would call energy vampires!  And let's face it, we've all been drained before!


Maybe they're really looking for a drink of something fresh like the Israelites. Maybe they need some of that living water that Jesus talked about.  Did I share any of it with them?


Breath prayer: Life Giver, wash me anew.



No comments:

Post a Comment