Thursday, March 29, 2012

Daily Devotion for Thursday, March 29, 2012

Today's Scripture Reading: Philippians 2:1-11

Key verse for today: Philippians 2:5, "Adopt the attitude that was in Christ Jesus"

Notice that the expression is not a peaceful one.
Humility is a fruit of the spirit (often translated as gentleness) that may not be valued very highly in our culture.  When I was a young man in my college years, I had a propensity for profanity.  Not all the time but I didn't mind dropping some R rated language here or there.

I had come to the conclusion philosophically that language is just about ideas.  What some might consider inappropriate can easily be translated into an acceptable word or phrase.  For example, some parts of the reproductive organs of the human anatomy have plenty of potty synonyms.  But you can also look up the technical terms in the dictionary.  What makes one okay but another naughty?

I decided that desensitizing people wouldn't hurt them.

Except that it does.

With apologies to Jane's Addiction, being shocking for shockings' sake is not very humble.  It puts my own sense of moral certainty at the top of the heap and doesn't regard the feelings or sensitivities of others.

It took a while to learn this but I finally did.

This is one of the reasons I try to be politically correct when talking about other people.  I know this is a dirty phrase in and of itself in Oklahoma but it really means just treating people how they want to be treated.  

Paul asks us all to adopt the attitude that was in Christ Jesus.  This attitude was one of service to others.

There are lots of ways to serve.  Watching what we say in deference to the feelings of others is one way of humble service that brings us peace.

Which is not a bad thing at all.

When do you need to tame your tongue?

Breath prayer: Loving Christ, show me the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment