Saturday, March 18, 2023

Daily Devotion for Lent 2023 - Day 22

Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.

                                    Hebrews 13:7

Today, I'm thankful for the leaders who guided and shaped me within The United Methodist Church to become the person I am today.

On Facebook, there has been a posting that has gone Oklahoma Conference viral with the hashtag, #iamaproductofeffectiveumleadershipdevelopment.

The associated graphic has been used by people as their Facebook profile picture.  

It was started in response to a message from the leadership of St Luke's United Methodist Church.  They are seeking to disaffiliate from The United Methodist Church (and the Oklahoma Conference) and have indicated that our leadership has been ineffective.

Various United Methodists have expressed their appreciation to those who have nurtured, taught and encouraged them through the years.  It is a positive expression of resurrection even amid the season of Lent.

As I think about my own experiences within The United Methodist Church, I was nurtured at Boston Avenue through Virginia Gray in the children's department and Lucinda Scheldorf in the youth department.  John Campbell was an adult volunteer for UMYF who was also instrumental throughout my adolescence.

Kent Ingram saved my bacon at camp (another story for another time) and Virginia, Herman Ging and Charles Herndon gave me early leadership opportunities at 6th Grade Camp. 

I'm thankful for the sermons of John Russell, Mouzon Biggs, Eldon Moelling, Jim Gragg and Ken Tobler who helped shape me during my time as a lay person.

I got to serve as an intern for Boston Avenue and learned under Lucinda, Harold Reynolds, Art McGrew, David Wiggs and EvaMarie Herndon Campbell and then again as an intern for Stillwater First and learned under Terry Martindale and Kathy Dorr.  

John Rusco mentored me along with Mendle Adams (a great UCC pastor who officed out of the building) at the Wesley Foundation at OSU.

After Sheryl and I were married, her grandfather, retired United Methodist minister, Loren Heaton unofficially mentored me every time we talked.

My district superintendents have been Dick House, Stan Warfield, Phil Ware, Craig Stinson, Dan Pulver, Rockford Johnson and Tish Malloy.  All have taught me more than I could repay.

The great thing about connectional leadership is that the lessons I have learned have been shared many times over with a wide variety of people.  The majority of people I have touched with God's grace across Oklahoma and beyond through my ministry have never met the people I mentioned.  But the call of ministry that was answered by this list also extends through me.  

In every setting I've been in whether as a lay person or as clergy, I have been privileged to see people answer their call as well.  And we see God's grace extended even farther.  Most of the people they touch will not ever meet me either and that's how connectional ministry works.  

It is not about me.  It is not for my accolades.  It is not so that I might establish my own kingdom.  

It is about Christ in me.  And in you.  

And it blesses the world anew.



No comments:

Post a Comment