Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Daily Devotion for Lent 2023 - Day 24

Today, I'm thankful for The United Methodist Church's teaching to attend upon all the ordinances of God.

This, of course, is the third of John Wesley's General Rules.  Bishop Rueben Job paraphrased this as "stay in love with God."  I have also paraphrased it, "work on your relationship with God."

Wesley defines these "ordinances" as:

  •    The public worship of God. (Regular worship)
  •    The ministry of the Word, either read or expounded. (Scripture based sermons)
  •    The Supper of the Lord. (Holy Communion)
  •    Family and private prayer. (No explanation needed)
  •    Searching the Scriptures. (Bible study)
  •    Fasting or abstinence. (Wait, what?)

When I was finishing seminary at Candler, I was brought back to interview for a particular appointment under the Stillwater District Superintendent, Dr. Grayson Lucky.  Now, I know we don't interview for appointments in The UMC but he wanted to visit with me prior to making the decision on who to appoint to a particular position.  So, I'm not sure what else you would call it!

If you've never met Dr. Lucky, he can be somewhat intimidating.  I had already passed the Board of Ordained Ministry with flying colors but Grayson was harder to impress.  

When he asked me about the third General Rule as to what I did on a regular basis, I recognized that I was woefully deficient in my practices.  I did hit the first three with regularity but missed on the last three for personal devotion time.  

The cabinet appointed someone else to the position in the Stillwater district!

I recognized that I needed to do a better job in working on this.  Spirituality doesn't just come through studying for and writing sermons.  We have to practice prayer and read the Bible not for teaching or preaching but just for our own edification.  

I've managed to get these down on a daily basis and it has made all the difference.  I'm still not very good at fasting but maybe I can work on that in the future!

What practices have you added during Lent that you might continue to do throughout the year?  When is a time you can utilize for prayer during the day?

Oh, and I ended up being appointed as the pastor in Drummond a week later and this ended up being the best thing for me so things worked out!



No comments:

Post a Comment