Friday, March 31, 2023

Daily Devotion for Lent 2023 - Day 33

"Then I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding." 

                                                                  Jeremiah 3:15

 

Today, I'm grateful that The United Methodist Church has high educational standards for its clergy.

I think about my own education and I wonder if I would have gone on to get a masters degree if it were not required.  I was already working as a lay person in the church with an undergraduate degree.  But because this was a requirement for ordination, I went on to complete my degree.

Later, I went back to school to complete my doctorate of ministry degree.  If I was not in a church that valued education, would I have done this?

While I was in school this last time, I found that my preaching and leadership improved while I was pursuing this higher education.  

I believe that education is key to so many things.  

As we examine poverty, we discover that education is invaluable for helping people to escape this morass.  Our own Project Transformation program is designed to help children catch up to their age-appropriate reading levels.  This is shown to be a wonder in helping them throughout their classes for years to come.

Education helps us to overcome racism.  Last year, our cabinet went through educational opportunities regarding race.  We had readings but also immersion experiences that helped us to encounter different viewpoints.  When we discover the basics of the human experience as universal, it helps us to celebrate the differences that we each bring to the table and not be threatened by them.

For ordination, The United Methodist Church requires a Masters of Divinity degree.  This advanced degree averages around 80 hours in most institutions.  For licensing, we require an initial local pastor's school but also that they follow up with course of study taught by people with advanced degrees.  What difference does it make to be a part of a denomination that has this requirement?

It means that we take our spirituality seriously and we expect our leaders to have some knowledge and understanding before entering the pulpit.  Of course, we also have expectations of spiritual depth as well but we believe this is developed through regular study of the scriptures.  The pursuit of education can help us to be disciplined in our prayer life as well as our study of the Bible.

When you hold your leaders to higher expectations, this usually trickles down to the congregation.  We have expectations of our laity studying the word as well.  We want them to see the meaning behind the obvious that will add life to their lives.

What is something you've discovered about the Bible that has deepened your understanding and helped you as a person?  What standards do you hold for yourself about your own knowledge?

I probably wouldn't have achieved the education
I did without being pushed by my colleagues
and the expectations of The UMC

No comments:

Post a Comment