Friday, April 7, 2023

Daily Devotion for Lent 2023 - Day 39 (Good Friday)

So they took Jesus, and carrying the cross by himself he went out to what is called the Place of the Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha.

                                                      John 19:16b-17

Today, I'm grateful that The United Methodist Church has taught me to see my own suffering from a different light.

Good Friday makes us contemplate suffering and mortality.  We name on this day that God is in solidarity with the suffering of the world and that God knows what it is to be alone and afraid and in pain with no hope in sight.


 

One could say that Jesus could have been buoyed by his own prediction of the resurrection but when one is dying while hanging from a tree, it may give little solace.

As Christians, we acknowledge that our faith is not insurance against suffering.  We recognize that bad things in life do in fact happen to good people.  

There have been times in my ministry where I felt that things did not go my way.  I've been in conflict with laity and clergy.  And even lately, I've been involved in what I would call highly anxious situations. 

Our faith moves us to continue to follow Jesus even when it is difficult.  I think Jesus said something more than once about taking up one's cross...

What has helped me during difficult times is the old Wesleyan prayer.  I try to pray this daily as I arise.

I am no longer my own, but yours.
Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by you or laid aside for you, exalted for you or brought low for you.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things. Let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven.

I think it is good for me to recognize that nothing is permanent or eternal except for God.  That includes our kingdom building.  It also includes our suffering.  All suffering will come to an end - even suffering on a cross.  

I think if Lent teaches us anything, it is that we can make a difference in easing the suffering of the world.  Lent should give us eyes to see when normally we would rather look away.  

On this Good Friday, how will you help ease the suffering of someone?



Photo by adonis paul hunter via Flickr.com.  Used under the Creative Commons license.


No comments:

Post a Comment