Sunday, April 9, 2023

Daily Devotion for Lent 2023 - Easter Sunday

“Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here but has risen."

                                                               Luke 24:5b (NRSV Updated Edition)

Today, I'm thankful that The United Methodist Church has given me an identity centered in the resurrection!

Technically, Lent ended yesterday but I always write one more to conclude these devotions - I think this is part of who I am.  I can't end on the Saturday where Jesus is buried.  This would go against my nature and the nature of the Gospel - I must finish with the resurrection because this is the defining piece of not only United Methodism but of all Christianity!

I've enjoyed writing these this year as a return to United Methodism's roots.  As I've gone through this strange season of disaffiliation, I've encountered United Methodists who have decided that they would rather be something else.

This is nothing new or unusual - often we have church members and even pastors transfer to other denominations.  The strange thing is that the legislation that is set to end this year allows for congregations to transfer en masse.  Of course, even when a congregation decides to do this, there have been members that felt betrayed by this decision.  

And while the only reason allowed for exit is one's viewpoint on LGBTQ+ inclusion in the church, this has not been the presenting issue in many churches.  In many churches it is more about finances and property.  Others have lifted up core doctrines as being on the chopping block as if United Methodism was moving away from the resurrection.  

My thinking was to write each day to remind us who we are.  

This reminder would be nothing without the resurrection.

As I participate in an Easter sunrise this morning, I will once again be reminded that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is something that we can encounter on a daily basis.  It is as basic as the rising of the sun.

Resurrection colors our view.  It allows us and even encourages us to forgive one another.

Resurrection allows for reconciliation - even with those who would seek to part ways.

Resurrection calls for hope in the body of Christ - even when it appears that we are infighting (which is not an attractive look for outsiders considering Christian faith).

I believe that The United Methodist Church will come out of this smaller but more united.  We will adjust and right-size our budgets so as not to cause churches to have "bloated apportionment costs."  We will continue to furnish churches with pastors who are connected to one another through shared beliefs.  We will continue to set aside people from our churches to begin the journey toward licensing and ordination.  We will continue to baptize people in the faith.  We will continue to introduce people to Jesus Christ who lives and reigns today.

We will continue to share in the resurrection!

Thanks to all who journeyed this season of Lent with me - whether daily or occasionally.  I hope that this was helpful to you as we move forward.

The resurrection of Jesus reminds us that change is nothing to be afraid of - it is quite natural in the world we live in today.  A belief in resurrection means that we can handle whatever we face and being a part of the church reminds us that we handle it together.

May God bless you today through the resurrection of Jesus Christ we find on Easter and may God continue to bless and transform the world through The United Methodist Church!

Here's a picture of an Easter sunrise service
from over 2 decades ago.  My calling and
my love for the church has only deepened
through the years.  And I still preach
resurrection!


No comments:

Post a Comment